The Essex County Sheriff ’s Department’s top priority is to protect residents in the region from criminal offenders. This is accomplished by:
- Housing inmates in a secure and fair manner.
- Practicing correctional policies that comply with all local, state and federal laws.
- Using innovative correctional approaches that are in accord with the mission.
- Informing and educating the public about the department through the media, tours of the facility and public appearances by the sheriff, administrators, K-9 unit and uniformed personnel.
- Providing a professional working environment for the staff, which takes into account at all times their welfare, safety and opportunities for professional advancement.
- Providing rehabilitation and academic training to offenders while they are incarcerated, so they will not repeat their mistakes once they are released.
- Devising and structuring post-release supervision plans for offenders, to assist them in transitioning back into their respective communities.
- Partnering with local, state and federal law- enforcement agencies in the development of campaigns and programs that fight crime and promote public-safety initiatives. Much of this is done through our participation in the